A SAD TIME | BREAST CANCER & GENETIC BREAST CANCER AWARENESS

by - 18:23





























So... aaah. A blog post you guys have been waiting for.. or not? Who knows. A lot of you guys have been concerned about my lack of motivation, fashion posts, Instagram posts, youtube videos and just all round whereabouts during the last few weeks. Most of you know I am a full time Primary School teacher, as well as a blogger, Youtuber and social influencer/creator.. so I think most of you always give me the benefit of the doubt when I am away for a bit and assume I am just EXTRA busy. So I didn't really need to write this post, but I am anyway. 

I have almost over 36K of you on Youtube (and rapidly rising), a few of you on here and over 7K of you on Instagram. I think it would be absolutely ludicrous of me not to use my 'following' as a good thing and as a way to get the message out about this and to raise awareness. 

2 weeks ago (I think.. time is going crazy fast) my poor beautiful mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. In fact, she has two types in her breast, one that is early stage breast cancer because it was caught very early and one that is a bad type of cancer.. well they're all bad, but I guess a more invasive type of cancer that will do it's best to spread like mad. SO FAR SO GOOD. 

Mum has had little to no time to come to a decision about what to do. Doctor's say, they have caught it early, so can remove the breast and lymph nods etc..  which is what mum will do. But until they have the breast tissue and all of that gunky stuff under the microscope, they won't know if it has spread to her armpit lymph nods. Following? This means, we are not quite sure if mum will need radiation or chemo just yet. 

I am incredibly positive and incredibly thankful for the Australian system for essentially so far saving my mums life. 

You see, my Great Gran had Breast Cancer and my gorgeous Granny and several others in between going way way back. Cancer is a HUGE part of my family unfortunately and I have always been surrounded by it and lost 2 souls to it. I am not a negative person, but I would have to be stupid not to think one of us, being my mum or myself would get Breast Cancer. I just didn't think it could be ALL OF US, for generations to come.

If you didn't know this already, this is why I am writing this. There are two genes called BRCA1 and BRCA2. These are passed down from either sides of your parents families. Now it doesn't mean that everyone will carry the gene, so I am staying hopeful, but being realistic if you have had one or more females in your family (AT LEAST) diagnosed under the age of 50.. you have to be prepared. 

Breast cancer: About 12 percent of women in the general population will develop breast cancer sometime during their lives (4). By contrast, according to the most recent estimates, 55 to 65 percent of women who inherit a harmful BRCA1 mutation and around 45 percent of women who inherit a harmful BRCA2 mutation will develop breast cancer by age 70 years (56).

My Granny was diagnosed at 59 and my Mum at 47. That is a large gap in between the ages, meaning it is getting lower each time. My mum will undergo the genetic testing first, and if she is positive then I will almost definitely be positive. If she is not, then I will thank my lucky stars. Doctor's asked my mum how old I was in order to 'calm my nerves' I guess, and they have said if I took away 10 years from mums diagnosis, that is how long I could essentially keep my boobs. 

But hey... why put yourself through that? Always knowing that one day you'll have to have the chop. That is why I think, if I am positive, I will have my breasts removed in my early 30s or sooner depending. 

I digress. So, that's it guys, that is why I have been absent a little. My mum is fine, I am fine and we are all incredibly positive, this is nothing new and certainly isn't anything we cannot handle!! I am only announcing this on here and no where else, so if you have read this, Thank you! Please remember to always check your breasts, self check, there are plenty of videos on Youtube. Even get your mum to check.. it's not 'gross or embarrassing' it can save your life. If you believe you have a history of Breast Cancer in your family and you are my age (23) and concerned.. go and talked to a genetic councillor. I will be! You can get tested for the gene. 

I will keep you updated and I hope this makes sense!


If you have been affected by this blog post or would like to read more please go to: Cancer.Gov





Love always,
Maddie 

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending positive vibes your way Maddie! I too have cancer in my family and have lost many loved ones to the monster. Stay strong and stay close to your family, it's the best thing you can do <3

    http://fractionofhappy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you a million! Your love and support is much appreciated :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative site, i must bookmark it, keep posting interesting articles.
    turkish beach towel

    ReplyDelete