Top 5 Tips For An Australian Wanting An Easy Disney World Trip!

by - 02:04


I have been asked so much recently (since posting more about Disney and my most recent Disney World Trip) about how it seems so easy for someone in Australia (aka me) to travel to WDW. You see, a lot of Aussies forget Florida exists or even know that Disney World and not just 'land' actually exists. I guess I would probably be the same if I grew up here from a younger age and didn't have the opportunities I had to travel to Florida. Florida is after all, a very very long way away from Australia. That being said, it is SO much easier than you think and it is so amazing and different - Aussies talk about travelling to Bali because it's easy, but so is seeing one of my favourite places in the World.

1. But it's such a long journey Maddie, so many flights and so much travel time

Yes, granted. However.. here are my best tips. DO NOT BOOK THROUGH A TRAVEL AGENT. The internet exists these days and I am sure you are more than capable of researching flights yourself. For the love of Mickey, trust me when I say, booking a 'Disney' trip through an Australian travel agent will cost you your soul. It doesn't have to be that expensive. I have Virgin Velocity points and often fly with Virgin but using websites such as 'Sky Scanner' will find you your best flight. Use points systems such as 'fly bys' or the 'Woolworths Rewards' and link your accounts to their partner airlines. We are one of the best countries for this system, so use it - I have received many a discount on my flights because of these too.

Always choose an airline that only has one stop over, this is SO much easier. I recommend flying (for example) Brisbane to LAX and then onto a connecting flight LAX to Orlando International. You do not need to book separate flights, trust me. Just whatever you do.. do not book a 'package' through an Aussie Agent.. they see Disney and smell the money. It can be done on a really small budget. The first flight is often 14 hours depending on the winds etc.. I always fly first thing in the morning and stay up all night before so I can sleep. This will also help with any jetlag issues. The second flight is 6 hours but you're so tired, you sleep like a baby and you're there in no time at all. Yes it's a long way, but I 100% believe it's like what they say about child birth, you literally forget the pain straight after due to the happiness and joy (right, right?). 

2. Surely you can't do Disney World in less than 3 weeks? I don't get much annual leave

Again, a common misconception shared by Aussies. I have been going to WDW since I was 6 years old, I have had a house there, I have spent weeks on end there, many a Christmas and over 10+ WDW trips and I STILL have not done everything because I had a 12 year hiatus (because I thought it was too hard and too expensive from Australia.. see that was me too, no judgement) and I probably will never do everything. There is simply too much. But why oh why would you make that stop you? You can achieve so much in 2 weeks.. and I will do a separate post on this. Just trust and realise, once you've had your first WDW trip.. you won't stop. You WILL go again. 2 Weeks in Florida is just a achievable as 2 weeks in NZ.. just because it's further way, doesn't mean you need to be there for longer.

3. Stay in a Disney Hotel on Site - It actually might end up being cheaper and because you don't know Florida, it's easier

Most of my Disney World trips, I have had the luxury of staying in my own home (my parents owned a house in Florida) but on my most recent trip, we stayed in one of the Disney Springs Hotels just outside the main property. This was our big mistake! It cost more.. in transport, in food and took up valuable park time. Some days, the traffic to get into the park was simply too busy and would eat into our time. Next time, I am staying in one of the budget Disney resorts on property. You can get free transport to and from the parks, access to the Disney dinning program and extra park hours with your resort tickets alone. If you're an Aussie on your first WDW trip and you don't know the surrounding area, restaurants and shops.. being on property in a Disney bubble is SO worth it. Plus.. trust me, I have done my research. Just because it's owned by disney, on property and looks fancy, doesn't mean it's more expensive. 

4. Watch UK and US Disney Vloggers

They may not be Aussie, but they have great tips and advice - plan everything before you go.. down to the T. 

5. Download the 'My Disney Experience App'

For the love of Mickey, please download the app from the appstore. Whatever you do YOU MUST book your park tickets ahead of time so that you can link them to your account and start booking your fast passes and reservations ahead of time. WDW is much busier than it use to be when I first went in 1998. MUCH busier than the last time I visited before my 12 year hiatus too, and I was not expecting it at all. Do not leave booked your fast passes until the day before you go to the park because you simply will not get a good one.. end off. The app is incredible, you can plan absolutely everything from the comfort of your home in Australia.


A cheeky 6th tip as I could go on for hours:

Do not rent a car unless you know Florida well, this is a waste of money, particularly if you're on a small budget. Disney offers the Magical Express straight from Orlando International Airport to MANY hotels and free transport the entire time.. particularly if you follow my tip and stay on property. 

So there you have it.. I have more. Lots more. If you have any questions about booking, planning or going on a WDW Orlando trip from Australia, please DM on Instagram.








You May Also Like

0 comments